Skip to main content

I received a $10 fix it ticket last September. I missed the original court date and it went to GC collections for $900.

Canoga Park, CA |

Last Sept, I received a $10 fix it ticket for expired tags. I forgot the court date and did not get my papers in in time. In January, I received a notice that my license was suspended and I owed $900. I immediately requested a new court date. Now, almost 1 year later, I go to court on Sept 25. I fixed the tags last year and got everything in order. However now, my tags recently expired again, but because my license is suspended I cannot get insurance and therefore cannot renew the tags until after I go to court. What are my options with the court? What should I ask for? What is the best way to handle this? I am unemployed and certainly cannot afford the $900 for GC Collections. Any help is appreciated.

Attorney Answers 1


Hopefully, you got the citation signed off when you corrected the tags. If you did, show the corrected ticket. If you did not, show the last registration card showing it was corrected. (BTW, don't drive to court) Not sure of what the policy of the traffic court is in Van Nuys, but many Los Angeles Courts will reduce the failure to appear fine (which is a new charge that is added when you don't show up and for which the fine is $75 plus penalty assessment), as well as reduce or eliminate the civil assessment that was also added.
The suspended license is probably from the failure to appear. Make the appearance, ask for a continuance and an abstract. The abstract will clear the license which in turn will make the vehicle registration possible. Waive Time. Don't worry about what it means, if asked, "Yes, I waive time" If the citation was not signed off, and you still have the original, take the registered vehicle to a sheriff's department and have them inspect it and sign the ticket off.

A proper response would require a thorough investigation into the history and background of this relationship. The information provided above is just that, information, to be used as you see fit.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics