I received 2 DUIs within a year. I have a green card but will I be deported when coming back to the U.S from Japan?

03/2010, I received my first DUI. Then in 05/2010, I received my second DUI. My sentence was 60 days in jail but in lieu of that I decided to join DUI Court which lasted about a year and a half. I just graduated from the program and want to visit my family in Japan. I have a green card for about 10 years, living in U.S for 15 years, go to CA State Univ Fullerton, work at Starbucks. Will I have problems at the border when entering the U.S? I did on my first DUI but they let me through. Now I have two! Help!

Los Angeles, CA -

Jon William Woolsey

Jon William Woolsey

DUI / DWI Attorney - Santa Rosa, CA

You should consult with an immigration attorney. That said, I've had numerous clients from all parts of the world who have not been deported or denied entry into the US because of DUI's. A DUI is not a crime of moral turpitude, like knowingly leaving the scene of an accident or knowingly driving without a valid license. So long as you do not have a warrant out for your arrest, you should be OK leaving and returning to the U.S.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

Show your record to an attorney.

Most likely you'll be OK.

Arie Ebrahimian

Arie Ebrahimian

Immigration Attorney - Beverly Hills, CA

I agree with my esteemed colleagues.

LAW OFFICE OF ARIE EBRAHIMIAN
8889 WEST OLYMPIC BOULEVARD, SUITE 200
BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90211
(888) 980-2743
(888) 980-ARIE
ARIE@DREAMACTLAWYER.US

DISCLAIMER - NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP: The information provided in this email is intended for informational purposes only. This email does not necessarily reflect current legal or factual developments and is general in nature. Nothing set forth in this email should be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. Furthermore, the information provided in this email is provided “as is” without any warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Attorney Arie Ebrahimian makes no warranty, express or implied, about the correctness, accuracy or reliability of the information set forth in this email. The information provided in this email should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of legal services with Attorney Arie Ebrahimian or establish an attorney-client relationship absent a written agreement for legal services. Thank you.

Theodore John Murphy

Theodore John Murphy

Immigration Attorney - West Chester, PA

No problems with your green card or reentering the US but you will have to wait longer to become a citizen.