I receive social security disability. Do I have to file taxes with a 1099? all I got was 600 dollars?

Chicago, IL |

I started working a total of 8 hours every other week with a 1099 .Do I have to file taxes on that and will this affect my ssd benefits?

1. Yes you have to file. Anything over $400 results in you needing to file taxes. It will not effect your SSD since the amount is under the try working again exception. This allows individuals to try working and still retain benefits if the trial is not sucessful.

2. Short answer, yes you have to file.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

3. M colleagues are correct. The answer is yes.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. Yes you must file but if you get SSD then it will not affect your benifits. If you get SSI it could reduce your benifit check but working is always better for your mental and emotional health and most of the time it makes more money for your household.

Social security topics