I rec'd judgment of $5,000 for half of property value in Nov. of '11. My ex has failed to make this payment. Consequences?

Asked over 1 year ago - Texarkana, AR

Aug. of '11, my ex was ordered to pay $5,000 for my half of the property value of the land we owned. He has not done this to date and says that he can't afford to pay me and can't get a loan. He has paid for his new wife's nursing school (she just recently completed her 1 yr course). He is paying back child support $25 each pay period by payroll deduction. While the divorce was pending, I had to borrow money to buy bedroom furniture for myself & my 5 year old daughter. We moved in with my mother as I did not have a job. I was a stay-at-home mom (at his request) following the birth of our daughter. I did finally get a part-time job. Also had to borrow money to pay my lawyer. Still owe $3,000 to friends for divorce & furniture which I have been unable to pay.

1. Scott Allen Scholl

Pro

Answered . You can file a motion asking the court to punish him for contempt or to use the Court's contempt powers to compel compliance with court orders.

You may also be able to enforce it as a contract, or to execute upon it as a judgment -- but you will need an attorney to review your decree and property settlement to determine just how you can and should proceed.