I rear ended someone and the other guy didn't want to file a report because his car wasnt damaged and he was fine?

Asked over 1 year ago - River Forest, IL

I rear ended someone earlier this week. It was stop and go traffic so I wasnt going fast. The guy's car I hit didnt get damaged at all and he was fine as well. He said he will let me go on the spot. I offered my information but he only took my cell number and DL number. He didnt write down my insurance even though I gave him my card. Now he calls back after two days saying he feels stiff and couldnt go to work and wants his wages reimbursed and money for the damage on the car. He filed a police report today and left me voicemail. Him and his insurance agent keeps calling to get my insurance information. I contacted a family lawyer and he advice me that I'm not obligated to give them my insurance info because the guy clearly didnt write it down on the spot even though I offered. Any advice?

I filed a claim with my insurance company within an hour of the accident. The other guy doesnt have any collision coverage on the car so the insurance company wont pay for it. That's why he is trying to get me to pay for his fake damage and fake injury (stiffness!) I have no problem paying him but he is making up stories and not providing me with real invoices/bills.

1. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

20

1

Answered . Do not respond to him.

Report this to your insurer immediately. They will handle this from there and require proof of any damages.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

2. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

20

Answered . I agree with Mr. Hoffman. You should report this to your insurer.

3. Kevin Coluccio

19

Answered . I do not believe that the family lawyer is right. I would suggest that you contact your insurance carrier and that you provide your insurance carrier with contact information for the guy that you hit.

4. David Mark Kupsky

19

Answered . In all likelihood, under the terms of your liability insurance, you have the duty to report an incident to your carrier. Failure to adhere to the requirements of your policy could have adverse consequences for you. I am not an attorney in Illinois so I can not say for sure, but you might have a legal duty to disclose your policy information where there has been an auto impact.

Pro

18

Answered . Report this to your insurance company to resolve. This is why we all have insurance.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  6. Briny Adam Woods

18

Answered . Explain everything to your insurance company and hopefully they will be able to weed this out, if it turns out to be fraud. This is one of the reasons you pay your auto insurance premiums. Let them handle it.

7. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

17

Answered . You have done the right thing by turning this matter over to your insurance company. Have no further contact with the adverse party. Turn over all correspondence you receive from the adverse party to your insurance company, retaining a copy for your records. Let your insurance company handle this. That is why you pay them a big premium.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  8. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

16

Answered . the insurer has a duty to settle the lawsuit within your policy limits, if it can. One of the classic cases that demonstrate the insurer’s duty to defend involved an insured named Curtis Campbell, who was in an auto accident that killed one person and injured another. When Mr. Campbell was sued, his insurer, State Farm, refused to settle the case for $50,000, his policy limit, even though State Farm knew he caused the accident. At trial, the jury found Mr. Campbell liable and awarded $136,000 in damages against him.
    THE primary purpose of insurance is to give you peace of mind. You buy automobile insurance, homeowner’s insurance, or business liability insurance in the event that your car, home, or business sustains damages. If a claim or lawsuit is filed against you arising from your ownership of properties, the insurance coverage is meant to protect you.

Part of the insurer’s duty under such policies is to defend you in any lawsuit resulting from accidents within your properties. This means that the insurer will pay for an attorney to represent you in the lawsuit, and attempt to settle the claim against you.

One or more answers have been taken down.