I rear ended someone. Help!

Syracuse, NY |

I was waiting in a line of cars to enter a traffic circle. The car ahead of me moved up and so I moved up also and as I went to apply my brake to slow down and stop, my wet shoe slipped off the brake and caught the gas and I struck the car a head of me. We pulled over and I asked him if he was okay and he said yes. I then called the police. I was not issued a ticket. There was some damage to his rear bumper and to my front bumper. The officer filled out an Accident exchange of information report. So my question is what should i expect in the upcoming weeks? And what if the other drive claims an injury after the fact? I have never been in and kind of accident before and i am beside myself .

I immediately contacted my insurance after the officer gave each of us a copy of the Accident Information Exchange Form

First, report the incident to your insurance carrier, then, work with them to get the matter fully resolved and behind you. This is why you have insurance.

Thank you. I reported it immediately after I received the report from the officer.

Report it to your insurance company, tell them the truth about what happened and let them deal with it. They will defend your interests if you are sued and deal with any property damage claims presented. You should be ok - this is why we have insurance.

The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general educational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.

Simply report it to your insurance company to resolve.

Thank you. I reported it immediately to my insurance after I received the report from the officer.

You did everything right. You called the police and exchanged information. Call your insurance company and report the claim. Cooperate with them. Your insurance company will deal with the vehicle damage, and injuries, if any.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed.

Thank you. I reported it immediately to my ininsurance afterter I received the report from the officer.

As all my colleagues said, report it to your insurance company.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Report it to your insurance company ASAP. They should handle it for you. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.