Skip to main content

I rear-ended a car, panicked, drove off then turned back around and couldn't find the car I hit. What should be my next step?

Tucson, AZ |

I don't know if they got my license plate number or not.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Your next step should be to stop posting incriminating facts about your case. Second, contact a criminal defense attorney in your area.

  2. I understand you may have panicked and been scared to stop because you were in an area you are not used to. You never intended to hit and run. Was the car parked and unoccupied ? That may make a difference. Contact a criminal/ traffic violation defense attorney in your city ASAP and follow the advice you will receive.

  3. You can retain a local criminal lawyer to fight the imminent charges.

  4. A consult with a local criminal defense/traffic attorney would probably be wise.

    In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

  5. Your best option is to contact a local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible because you will likely be facing imminent charges. Good luck