I read somewhere that if the wife is cohabitation with another guy during the separation then there is no alimony awarded, is th

Asked over 1 year ago - Binghamton, NY

My wife filed for a divorce and then her boyfreind moved into the house that I am paying on. She is seeking alimony, but I read that if she is cohabitating there there is no alimony awarded. Is this coprrect for NYS?

1. Marco Caviglia

6

Answered . No. That would not be viewed as a compelling reason to deny the spouse temporary maintenance during litigation or maintence after the divorce if she otherwise qualifies.

2. Jean M. Mahserjian

Pro

5

Answered . No. If she actually remarries, any spousal maintenance awarded would terminate. But, there is no law in NY that precludes awarding spousal maintenance due to cohabitation.

3. Matthew Thomas Majeski

Pro

3

Answered . The key trigger condition is remarriage, not cohabitation, as both counsel stated.