Skip to main content

I ran a stop sign and caused an accident. The sign was blocked by two police comm vehicles. Do I have a case against the city.

Miami, FL |

The sign had two police communications vehicles parked about 15-25 feet in front of the stop sign. I was coming off of a exit and making a left to go under an overpass, I assumed it was a thoroghfare and drove straight through the sign hitting an oncoming car.

Attorney Answers 7

  1. You at least have a defense for the accident.
    The lawsuit will be driven by the other facts
    of the circumstances at the time of the incident.
    I know that sounds like legal talk-but it is what it is.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

  2. Blocking a traffic sign could certainly be considered negligence. So if you were injured in the crash I would suggest that you retain a personal injury lawyer to notify the police agency to comply with a waiver of sovereign immunity statute.

    In your lawsuit against the police department, or in a lawsuit against you for causing the crash, your potential negligence, the negligence of the police department, and perhaps the negligence of the other party to the crash will all be considered by the jury and each of you will only recovered the percentage of your damages that was caused by that at fault party.

    This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me, or visit my website

  3. Especially if you have a witness that the police vehicles were blocking your sight of the stop sign, you may indeed have a cause of action. Since it sounds as if you hit another vehicle, you should immediately place your insurance company on notice if you haven't done so already. Moreover, your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) on your own policy pays your medical expenses and lost wages up to $10,000 regardless of who was at fault or any eventual outcome versus the police department/city. You should also therefore immediately get checked out by a doctor if you have not sought treatment already. If you wait more than 14 days to seek treatment, you will lose that ten thousand dollars in no fault benefits. Consult with a local personal injury attorney.

  4. What is it you need us to help you with?

  5. If you have witnesses and/or pictures then you have a defense to the crash. Make sure you report this to your insurance company ASAP.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

  6. Perhaps, but you have insurance, so simply report this to your insurance company, and they will provide a free lawyer to defend.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  7. With the Florida laws governing the amount of caution required when approaching police cars parked on the road or side of the road, I do not see much of a defense. As others have explained, just call your insurance carrier. i wish I could give you better news and hope that you or the other party were not seriously injured. You might want to consider seeing a doctor to be sure.

    Legal disclaimer: Please note that this answer is not intended as legal advice rather it is meant for informational and educational purposes. No attorney-client relationship is created or is intended to be created by this answer. The answer relates to only Florida law. The facts of each legal matter or issue are different and you are urged to contact a licensed attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case and legal issues. less

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics