I quit my job without notice and my company reduced my pay for the hours I already worked. Is that legal?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Oak Harbor, OH

I turned in my uniform and my work wanted to have me sign a paper to lower my wage. I said no, and they said they would do it anyway. I threated legal action, and they said "okay."

1. Alexander Patton Montgomery

2

Answered . In short, no it's not legal. In general, if you were an at-will employee, you are free to quit at any time and are entitled to the wages and benefits you already earned at the agreed upon rate. Therefore, absent some employment contract, a prior notice that your wages were going to be reduced, or some faithless conduct on your part, you should be entitled to the full amount of wages that you earned prior to the time you quit. Of course, the specific facts need to be considered and various state or federal laws may be involved, so you should consult an employment attorney if you are in fact paid at a reduced rate. Best of luck.

Alexander Montgomery
    Cornetet, Meyer, Rush & Kirzner
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    www.cmrklaw.com