I quit my job and requested child support modification, the judge refused to lower the amount.

Asked over 1 year ago - Olean, NY

I am a resident of New York State, After coming back from short term disability i tested positive on a drug test, I quit as opposed to getting fired. I have since gotten a significantly lower paying job and just finished my court hearing for lowering my child support payment, the judge refused to lower the amount, stating that i had to prove i was physically unable to perform my last job in order to justify the lowering of support, i need help did i get ripped off?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You left your last job voluntarily. Therefore, you are not entitled to a downward modification of support.

    I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I don't think you were ripped off.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no way to lower support merely you changed jobs. There is no way to lower support. You would have to do something incredible to accomplish that. Perhaps you need one of us to help you. Investing in us may pay off.

    Good luck.

  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You did not get ripped off. It appears that the court ruled properly.

    It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact our office at 516-669-3295.... more

Related Topics

Child support modification

Either parent can request modification of a child support order due to changes in circumstances, such as different income or major changes in the child's needs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,437 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,437 answers this week

3,656 attorneys answering