I quit my job and requested child support modification, the judge refused to lower the amount.

Olean, NY |

I am a resident of New York State, After coming back from short term disability i tested positive on a drug test, I quit as opposed to getting fired. I have since gotten a significantly lower paying job and just finished my court hearing for lowering my child support payment, the judge refused to lower the amount, stating that i had to prove i was physically unable to perform my last job in order to justify the lowering of support, i need help did i get ripped off?

I don't think you were ripped off.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

There is no way to lower support merely you changed jobs. There is no way to lower support. You would have to do something incredible to accomplish that. Perhaps you need one of us to help you. Investing in us may pay off.

You left your last job voluntarily. Therefore, you are not entitled to a downward modification of support.

I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have experience in all five boroughs as well is Nassau and Suffolk County. I can be reached any time at 347-289-5886. The opinion expressed in this ad based upon the limited information provided and do not indicate an attorney-client relationship

You did not get ripped off. It appears that the court ruled properly.

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact our office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. For more information, please see our website: <a href="http://www.LouisLSternbergLaw.com">Long Island Divorce Lawyer Louis Sternberg.</a>

Child support topics