I quit my job and now my ex-employer is slanderizing my name to all the employers I am putting in applications for. Can I sue?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Greensboro, AL

I quit my job at a large fast food corporation due to a hostile working environment. I told my boss's boss what he was doing and now he is slanderizing my name to all the employers I put in applications at. Can I sue him for slander or defemation of character?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mark Christopher Wolfe


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . The other attorneys have provided you with good information about your situation. Defamation cases in Alabama can be difficult to prove and the potential damages are often speculative. I have attached a link to a Legal Guide I wrote on this topic and would encourage you to review it and then consider whether you should consult with an attorney in your town or city.

  2. Boris Zinovjevic Gorbis

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Since one cannot sue for personal opinions, only for statements of fact that are malicious and patently untrue and for variety of other reasons, an action for defamamtion of character is not the best avenue for most people. You should consider other options. For example, you could write to your HR Departmnent in a straightforward manner asking them to prevent further badmouthing. You should furnish examples of the factual statements said about you that were false. You may also file a complaint with the Labor Department in Alabama for retailiatory action against you as a potential whistleblower.

  3. Jacob Adam Regar

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . One thing you have to prove in a potential slander case like you are describing is money damages. You would have to show that you lost a potential job due to your prior employer’s defamatory statements about you to a prospective employer.

    Even if you did not specifically consent to your prior boss’s right to offer evaluations of you to your prospective employers, your prior boss would typically be “protected by a conditional or qualified privilege.” That is, so long as they don’t spread falsehoods about you or speak about you negatively for improper reasons, they may be within their rights to speak about your known work experience and personal disposition.

    You should contact a local personal injury attorney to discuss your facts with them. You should inquire about the statute of limitations for slander (oral) or libel (written) defamation.

    This website contains general information about legal matters. The information provided by Jacob Regar is not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,984 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,984 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering