I quit my job after working for this company for 25 years. A recruiter informed me I am ineligible for rehire. Is this legal?

Asked over 1 year ago - Antioch, CA

The department I worked for at this company is going through redesign/reorganization. I was in this department for 3 years 2 months and quit effective October 5, 2012. I decided to quit rather than possibly be fired as I didn't want a termination on my clean record. According to an HR Consultant that worked for the company, I would have 2 years to be rehired by the company and have my time with the company "bridged." I received a call from a Recruiter for a job I applied for at this company who wanted to consider me for a position but couldn't because she stated that in my HR file, it reads that I am "ineligible for rehire!" I have no idea why this is in my file. I left on good terms and I left on my own.

1. Andrew Kevin Jacobson

Pro

4

Answered . Your question is whether the "ineligibility" is legal, and there is nothing illegal about it, so long as it is not based upon a protected classification like, race/ethnicity/ancestry, sex, age (40+), Family Medical Leave Act usage, and the like.
    Some companies may want to avoid former contractors or employees because of concerns about status for purposes of retirement eligibility, benefits, and the like. You need to find out more about why the marked you as "ineligible."

2. Justin G. Randolph

Answered . Why did you think you might be fired?