Skip to main content

I qualify for an annulment, how long before I can remarry?

Durant, OK |

My marriage was ten months ago and it was never consumated, my husband is moving away and has no interest in our marriage. Since our marriage I have not stayed one night with him, but I have fallen in love with another individual and I would like to know if I can get an annulment from my marriage and marry someone else.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


So long as you also meet residency requirements you should be able to seek an annulment.

Secure counsel of your choice and proceed.


The simple answer is until you secure an annulment or divorce. Meet with a local divorce attorney and go over the facts for a estimation of how long it will take in your area. Good luck.


Whether you qualify for an annulment or have to go through a full divorce, you can't remarry in Oklahoma for 6 months following the final order unless you remarry your current husband.

But you can go to another state the next day if you want to.


To get an annulment, you must meet 1) residency requirements and 2) grounds for an annulment. Once an annulment is secured, you must wait 6 months to remarry in the state of Oklahoma. Although it sounds like you may qualify for an annulment, it would be best to consult a local attorney regarding the matter to ensure that you meet those requirements and that all procedures are properly followed.

This answer should not prevent you from speaking to a lawyer and disclosing all facts about your case. Additionally, it should not prevent you from filing to see if you are eligible. Please seek an attorney for an initial consultation to review all the specific facts of your case.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer