I put a large amount of money into renovating my partners house while living together. Is there any hope of repayment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

I have been cohabiting with a man for 3.5 years and during that time was under the impression that we were building a future together. I renovated the house with my money as to what would be a comfortable environment for us both. The house is in his name. After a recent domestic violence incident to me. I am moving out and would like to get my money back for which I have all receipts and was in charge of all of the subs and improvements. How can I get my investment money back. I have not moved out yet but he has and is asking me to move out pronto. Thank you.

1. William Charles Rosenfelt

Pro

4

Answered . There are a number of different ways to proceed in a situation like this. However, you will almost certainly need to retain an attorney to assist you with this. I could rattle off several different theories: unjust enrichment, dissolution of joint partnership, quantum meruit (may need to dust off some law books) but you get the picture. It's not a conventional type of "divorce" situation. I would encourage you to talk to an attorney with not only family law experience, but real estate experience as well. Good luck to you.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my colleague to the extent that you may have legal options, however, I do not believe you are going to have much success, in all honesty. I wish you the best of luck.

3. Carin Manders Constantine

Pro

1

Answered . You may be able to sue him in civil court, but only a civil litigation can answer that. In family law, you will not prevail. Best of luck to you.