I put a large amount of money into renovating my partners house while living together. Is there any hope of repayment?

Asked about 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

I have been cohabiting with a man for 3.5 years and during that time was under the impression that we were building a future together. I renovated the house with my money as to what would be a comfortable environment for us both. The house is in his name. After a recent domestic violence incident to me. I am moving out and would like to get my money back for which I have all receipts and was in charge of all of the subs and improvements. How can I get my investment money back. I have not moved out yet but he has and is asking me to move out pronto. Thank you.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. William Charles Rosenfelt

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are a number of different ways to proceed in a situation like this. However, you will almost certainly need to retain an attorney to assist you with this. I could rattle off several different theories: unjust enrichment, dissolution of joint partnership, quantum meruit (may need to dust off some law books) but you get the picture. It's not a conventional type of "divorce" situation. I would encourage you to talk to an attorney with not only family law experience, but real estate experience as well. Good luck to you.

    Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

    Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the... more
  2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague to the extent that you may have legal options, however, I do not believe you are going to have much success, in all honesty. I wish you the best of luck.

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and... more
  3. Carin Manders Constantine

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You may be able to sue him in civil court, but only a civil litigation can answer that. In family law, you will not prevail. Best of luck to you.

    This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,015 answers this week

2,814 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,015 answers this week

2,814 attorneys answering