I purchased kitchen cabinets from a store and paid to have them installed, the installer did not do the job right. Who do I sue?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Buffalo, NY

I paid for measurements before placing order, everything is wrong, my stove does not line up with my vent to the outside, the screws did damage to the wood, had to have a second contractor come in to fix some of the problems, Store said they will not talk compensation till counters are in. They took a pound themselves to install crown molding, stating that is what they are willing to do I still have issues been trying to get fixed started in Aug. Now they keep giving me run around. I can not open my side by side refrigerator, even if I cut off 3" of the cabinet like they said. What can I do to have them fix the things I told them about in Aug and Jan. when second contractor finally came.

1. Richard J. Chertock

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . You sue both the store and the installer. You will need paid reciepts for the repairs to prove damages and you will need an expert to testify as to what was wrong with the installation and how it was corrected. Preferably this would be a licensed contractor who actually did the repair. You can sue in small claims court but if your damages exceed the jurisdictional limits of the small claims court then I suggest you retain an attorney and sue in district court.

2. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

3

1

Answered . You sue them both. Generally the store has an indemnity agreement from the installer, and will put pressure on the installer to resolve the dispute.

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

Answered . Sue both store and installer. That way when you go to court they are both there and no one else to blame.

4. Brian J. Amick

Answered . I agree. If you feel you have the store and installer every opportunity to make it right, if you bring suit you need to sue them both. In Missouri our small claims court does not allow laywers to participate. Check into you state's small claims limits and procedures before you hire an attorney.