I purchased an item at a retail store in California 4 days ago.I there any law on the books of how long I have to pick up item?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I purchased an item at a retail store in San Diego - Ca . 4 days ago . I purchased the item 9 ( extremely heavy kitchen counter - ( 400 pounds ) After I made the purchase I thought that maybe they might deliver the item to my residence . They do not delivery merchandise . I then asked if one or a few guys could help me lift the item into my vehicle and I was also told that they could not and would not lift the item into my truck . Told the manager that I am busy a lot and that I might not be able to get the item for a few days . I was told that it was alright to leave my item there for a few days . It has now been 4 days and the item is still at the store . Any law on the books about the time frame for picking up items paid for at a store ? Thank you . parties ) . Only example I have to compare . Help Thanks

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . There is no California statute specifically on point.

There is law regarding layaways. See the California Layaway Practices Act at Civil Code §sections 1749-1749.4.

There is also law regarding retail store refunds and store credits. See California Civil Code section 1723.

However, with respect to your specific issue, the answer really depends upon your contractual agreement with the store and/or the store's policy regarding pick up.

Unless this is a special order item, your choices are to either pay for delivery from a third party provider, or return the item for a refund.

2. Albert Lee Crosner

Answered . I concur with Attorney Chen. I would add that you should either ask for a refund or remove that kitchen counter as soon as possible. You asked for a few days and they gave it to you. 4 days is really pushing the envelope. They are not a storage facililty. Get a mover to help you. Good luck.

3. Scott Gregory Nathan

Answered . I agree with Attorney Chen and attorney Crosner. Make sure the mover you choose has liability insurance and worker's compensation insurance. Otherwise, you may be taking on a liability unnecessarily. Good Luck.