I purchased a commercial property from a county tax auction back on Oct 27, 2010. How do I evict the current occupant?

Asked over 3 years ago - Detroit, MI

I gave the current occupant a Notice to Quit, Termination of Tenancy, Landlord-Tenant (dc100c.pdf) on Oct 29, 2010 after the property was paid for at the county treasurer office. I received the QC deed dated Nov 29, 2010. What is the process to evict the current occupant? What forms do I need to fill out?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Elias T. Xenos

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Your next step would be to prepare and file a summons and complaint for eviction, assuming the notice to quit expired. Serve the summons and complaint upon the occupant. You can ask for money damages too (aside from possession of the premises) if there is a basis to do so. The court will set a hearing date, typically a week or two after the filing of the complaint. Take a form judgment to court with you. There's an SCAO form for this (get it from the same place you got your notice to quit). If the occupant appears and asks for an adjournment, the court will typically grant his/her request. On the eleventh day after entry of the judgment, fill out a writ of restitution application and file it with the clerk. This is the "eviction" document.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,895 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,895 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering