I purchased a beauty salon a year ago, for the past several months I have not been able to pay the rent. The landlord has emaile

Asked over 1 year ago - Shelby Township, MI

I purchased a beauty salon a year ago, for the past several months I have not been able to pay the rent. The landlord has emailed me a letter requesting we turn over the keys and leave all the salon equipment within 7 days. Is there anything I can do to stop her?

1. Mark H. Davidson

Best Answer

Answered . Assuming no eviction case has been started at this point, answer is yes, say no, then she has to send you a 7-day notice for non-pmt of rent, the file eviction case, another 7-14 days until hearing, then another 10 days to redeem, then landlord can get an eviction order from court, then hire a court officer, so us a good month. You may ask landlord if she will forgive back rent if you move immediately... it sounds like there may be a new tenant in line? Click Pamphlet below for more information.

2. Mariell Rebekah McLatcher

2

Answered . Find your purchase agreement and contact a lawyer to go over it with you. A lawyer will be able to better answer your question if he or she has the purchase agreement.

3. Melissa J. Houghton-Heinig

2

Answered . It is impossible for an attorney to answer you without seeing your purchase and lease agreement. I strongly suggest you find a local attorney who can review this and give you your options. If you have to leave within 7 days, it is likely the landlord went to court and received an eviction against you.

Get a lawyer immediately.

4. John F. Brennan

Answered . It is doubtful but the question will be answered by your purchase agreement and lease. See an attorney for a firm opinion.