Skip to main content

I punched someone once in self defense and broke their jaw. What type of legal ramifications will i expect to receive in PA

Erie, PA |

I am a college kid and was at a party where many kids were drinking underage, including the kid I punched. His friend threatened to "punch me in the face" and many other kids began to approach me and my other friend. The kid I punched proceeded to come up behind me and pour a beer over my head. My knee jerk reaction in the situation was to turn around and punch him. After that me and my friend walked away as the kid and his friend proceeded to yell at us.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Stop writing information on line and retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. There are defenses and options that can be pursued to protect you. Good luck.

  2. It depends on whether you are charged. If you are charged you can expect to at least be charged with Assault. Now more importantly you should not post facts on a public website and even more importantly hire yourself an experienced criminal defense attorney and let him or her do all the talking for you. Do not talk to the police, your friends not anyone about this case other than your attorney. If you are contacted by the police or campus public safety, politely decline to talk and referr them to your attorney.

    This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any decision in your case. Only consultation with your own attorney can provide you with the advice you need for your case.

  3. You can be charged with aggravated assault as a felony of the first degree and do 10-20 years of incarceration. That's on the lead charge alone. I would highly recommend you sit down with an experienced lawyer who can help you navigate through these charges and take down any incriminating information that you may have posted online. Best of luck!

    (215)564-1634 work (215)849-2173 cell Montoya Shaffer, LLC 100 S. Broad Street, Suite 1216 Philadelphia, PA 19110

  4. I agre with my three learned colleagues who have already responded to your question. Retaining counsel without delay is the most important thing you can do at this point. At least start talking with qualified criminal defense attorneys. Most here, myself included, offer free consultations. Take advantage of that to talk with one or more experienced criminal practitioners about your situation. You will be able to gain some useful insights and explore what the possible approaches may be for you. At least initially, the only thing it will cost you is some time and it will improve your chances of avoiding a decidedly negative outcome dramatically. Don't wait to be charged and do not talk or communicate with anyone about this matter except suitable counsel. Good luck.

  5. You could be arrested and charged with a crime. If he has injuries, he could also sue you in civil court for injuries.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics