I posted a negative comment on hallway.com about two years ago. The posting was anonymous but the person found out it was me.

Omaha, NE |

I've tried contacting hallway.com but have not received a response. I cannot find a number for the company so I have e-mailed all the e-mail addresses I can find on their site. What can i do so I am not charged with libel? I no longer have access to the e-mail I used when i posted the comment so it is not as easy as just logging in and deleting it. Thank you.

1. A negative comment is not necessarily libel - it must be false and harm the reputation of the entity being discussed.

Further, deleting the comment now, really does you no good. If someone is coming after you, they have already gotten a screen shot of what they are complaining about - and your actions have already become known.

If you think you did libel the other party, you should seek out local counsel to advise you on what to do at this point in time.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

2. Libel is a very, very difficult type of lawsuit to win. Easy to threaten, hard to win.
    Truth, experssion of opinion, lack of provable damages. I wouldn't worry too much until something happens.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

3. Merely expressing an opinion or offering an honest review is not actionable. That is, that is not defamation.

So unless you lied they will have no claims against you. If you did lie, keep in mind that suing is expensive and it is very unlikely that they will invest in that understanding that you may not have two nickels to rub together so any judgment they obtain will go unsatisfied.

You may want to discuss the matter over with a lawyer in private. Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the areas of business law and intellectual property to entrepreneurs, small-to-medium size businesses, independent inventors and artists across the nation and abroad. Feel free to call for a free phone consultation; your inquiries are always welcome: CONTACT: 866-871-8655 Support@LanternLegal.com DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis of this posting.

4. Truth is a defense. Most law offices can offer a free consultation.