I posted a negative comment on hallway.com about two years ago. The posting was anonymous but the person found out it was me.

Asked over 1 year ago - Omaha, NE

I've tried contacting hallway.com but have not received a response. I cannot find a number for the company so I have e-mailed all the e-mail addresses I can find on their site. What can i do so I am not charged with libel? I no longer have access to the e-mail I used when i posted the comment so it is not as easy as just logging in and deleting it. Thank you.

1. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

3

Answered . A negative comment is not necessarily libel - it must be false and harm the reputation of the entity being discussed.

Further, deleting the comment now, really does you no good. If someone is coming after you, they have already gotten a screen shot of what they are complaining about - and your actions have already become known.

If you think you did libel the other party, you should seek out local counsel to advise you on what to do at this point in time.

2. Brendan Michael Kelly

Pro

1

Answered . Truth is a defense. Most law offices can offer a free consultation.

3. Michael Charles Doland

2

Answered . Libel is a very, very difficult type of lawsuit to win. Easy to threaten, hard to win.
    Truth, experssion of opinion, lack of provable damages. I wouldn't worry too much until something happens.

4. Frank A. Natoli

Pro

2

Answered . Merely expressing an opinion or offering an honest review is not actionable. That is, that is not defamation.

So unless you lied they will have no claims against you. If you did lie, keep in mind that suing is expensive and it is very unlikely that they will invest in that understanding that you may not have two nickels to rub together so any judgment they obtain will go unsatisfied.

You may want to discuss the matter over with a lawyer in private. Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)