I pled guilty to a traffic violation for which I was at fault. Is that the same as a conviction in the state of New Jersey?

The original charge on the ticket (I was not arrested) of "disobeying a traffic signal" was reduced to "obstructing traffic"; a lesser charge with a reduction in points. The judge didn't actuallly say, "You are convicted of…". I'm wondering what I should put on my employment application.

Lawrenceville, NJ -

Mary Tom

Mary Tom

Probate Attorney - Wayne, NJ

You plead guilty to a traffic violation.

Typically, an employer application asking about convictions is not inquiring about traffic violations.

MARY TOM, ESQ.
HUNZIKER, JONES & SWEENEY, P.A.
Wayne Plaza II
155 Route 46 West
Wayne, NJ 07470
Phone No. (973) 256-0456
Fax No. (973) 256-4784

Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

Criminal Defense Attorney - Eatontown, NJ

Traffic offenses fall under Title 39 of the New Jersey Statutes and are not crimes. It will, however, appear on your driving record. But no, there is no conviction of a felony even though you appear in municipal court and plea guilty.

Crimes, however, fall under Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes. Most employment applications ask if you have been convicted of a felony or crime. Traffic violations are not crimes in New Jersey.

Michael Lawrence Doyle

Michael Lawrence Doyle

Criminal Defense Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

It is my experience that they look for basically three things:

1. Are you a thief-in other words are they at risk of you taking something from them

2. Are you someone with a substance abuse issue-in other words are they at risk that your employment will harm them

3. Are you a violent person

Traffic violations, in my experience, are not a reason that they would deny employment.

Michael L. Doyle
Attorney at Law
(215) 900-5565

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

Speeding / Traffic Ticket Lawyer - Union, NJ

Almost all motor vehicle offenses, even DWI, are not criminal in NJ. There are some but running a red light is not one of them. You are convicted whenever you plead guilty to a charge. But I have never seen an employment app. that asks whether you were convicted of obstruction of traffic. (that is the charge you pleaded to 39:4-67). They normally ask is you have been convicted of a crime and sometimes a serious motor vehicle offense. Your answer is no to both. This will not be on your CCH. That is what is looked at in a normal background checks. It is on your abstract but I have heard of very few places asking for an abstract.

Thomas Carroll Blauvelt

Thomas Carroll Blauvelt

Speeding / Traffic Ticket Lawyer - Old Bridge, NJ

This is a traffic offense. Your employment application may be only concerned with criminal convictions.