I plead no contest to a DUI 16 years ago. Will this show up on a background check?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lawrenceville, GA

I plead no contest to a DUI 16 years ago. Will this show up on any background checks? How long until this is removed from my permanant record?

1. Zachary Walter Procter

Pro

12

Answered . It will always show up on your record. A conviction never comes off. There is a common misconception that convictions "expire."

2. Justin Spizman

Pro

10

Answered . Yes. If convicted it remains on your record for life.

3. Noah Howard Pines

Pro

9

Answered . Yes and never.

4. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

5

Answered . 16 years ago, you could plea nolo to avoid any license suspension, but otherwise it was the same as a guilty plea, which was a conviction. This is on your record, the record will never expire, and it will show up on a background check. The only thing time does in these cases is that getting another DUI would not be counted as a second DUI in a 5 year period for enhanced punishment purposes.

5. Donald Clinton Turner

Pro

5

Answered . It will always show on your drivers history and never be removed. The only way it would not show on a background check is if you were not fingerprinted or photographed when booked in to the jail. it would also depend if the clerk forwarded the plea to the Georgia Public Safety but they most always do. you need to have a background check to make sure.

6. Jack Ira Klein

Pro

4

Answered . A prosecutor will always see the plea on a driver history or criminal history. Driver history may be normally pulled for 7 years.

7. George F. Mccranie IV

Pro

3

Answered . A conviction for DUI will NEVER expire or be removed from your criminal history. The laws in Georgia do not allow a conviction to be Expunged from your criminal history and it will not be removed after a certain period of time. The only way to prevent a DUI from appearing on your criminal history is to NOT BE CONVICTED IN THE FIRST PLACE! Your best defense is to retain the best DUI Defense Attorney that is available to you and aggressively defend yourself!!! I know this isn't the answer you were looking for but it is accurate. Good Luck!!! George McCranie IV www.mccranielawfirm.com