I plead no contest to a DUI 16 years ago. Will this show up on a background check?

Lawrenceville, GA |

I plead no contest to a DUI 16 years ago. Will this show up on any background checks? How long until this is removed from my permanant record?

1. Yes. If convicted it remains on your record for life.

2. It will always show up on your record. A conviction never comes off. There is a common misconception that convictions "expire."

3. 16 years ago, you could plea nolo to avoid any license suspension, but otherwise it was the same as a guilty plea, which was a conviction. This is on your record, the record will never expire, and it will show up on a background check. The only thing time does in these cases is that getting another DUI would not be counted as a second DUI in a 5 year period for enhanced punishment purposes.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP hmgrmg@yahoo.com 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 gadebtlaw.com hicksmasseyandgardner.com serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

4. It will always show on your drivers history and never be removed. The only way it would not show on a background check is if you were not fingerprinted or photographed when booked in to the jail. it would also depend if the clerk forwarded the plea to the Georgia Public Safety but they most always do. you need to have a background check to make sure.

5. A prosecutor will always see the plea on a driver history or criminal history. Driver history may be normally pulled for 7 years.

You should consult an Attorney that handles Traffic cases in the jurisdiction you received the citation to evaluate your options.

6. A conviction for DUI will NEVER expire or be removed from your criminal history. The laws in Georgia do not allow a conviction to be Expunged from your criminal history and it will not be removed after a certain period of time. The only way to prevent a DUI from appearing on your criminal history is to NOT BE CONVICTED IN THE FIRST PLACE! Your best defense is to retain the best DUI Defense Attorney that is available to you and aggressively defend yourself!!! I know this isn't the answer you were looking for but it is accurate. Good Luck!!! George McCranie IV www.mccranielawfirm.com

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.