Skip to main content

I plead guilty to disorderly conduct (pg 240.20) in ny

Brooklyn, NY |

in 2009. Can I apply for citizenship now? Is disorderly conduct a CIMT? If I apply will I be deported?

Attorney Answers 4


to properly answer your question i would need to review the criminal convcition. Have you completed any probation and paid any fines? Most likely if these are done you shoudl be fine to apply for citizenship.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

Mark as helpful

9 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague. You should collect all of the information related to the criminal adjudication and sentence completion and consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can provide you with a legal opinion as to what consequences, if any, this event has on your ability to naturalizae.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


Generally, a conviction for disorderly conduct is not considered a CIMT.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

22 lawyers agree


It could be a problem if the disorderly conduct was based on a violent offense

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics