Skip to main content

I plan on traveling and staying abroad with a child that is a USC and im a holder of conditional GC. What do i need to do?

Texarkana, TX |

I want to visit my parents im my country and i am not sure how long this visit may take, since my parents are old and someone needs to take care of them. I also want to finish my MBA at home as well. I am having a conditional GC, which expires in December. My child is a USC and the thing is that i might end up living at home ( a european country) but i still dont know for sure, since its not all up to me. So i am going home, traveling with a child of USC, but with the possibility to stay there permanently. What do i do?
I would appreciate advice on this matter since i dont know the legal parts of the US. My husband knows of this situation and he is fully aware.

Attorney Answers 3


This may be a problem for you down the road, when you are ready to apply for the removal of conditions off your conditional green card. I recommend that you speak with an experienced immigration lawyer to discuss your options.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You need to get a reentry permit and will need to document that your marriage is a real marriage and not just one for the green card.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


This is a very, very risky proposition. Especially since you didn't mention your husband once in your recitation of facts.

You run the risk of having immigration deem you to have abandoned your residence.

I wouldn't leave for more than 90 days at a time ... they must let you back if you're gone for less than 90 days .. if you're gone for more than that .........................

Meet with an immigration lawyer.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics