I phoned police and filed a complaint on the tenants who live directly above me.

Asked over 2 years ago - Denver, CO

After filing a complaint I emailed the management company (twice) to inform what I have been experiencing. Loud music and television, frequent partying on their balcony over my bedroom window, slamming doors, stomping on the floor and banging on the walls. After this, I received and notice to vacate. Also, the management was working with me to catch up some back rent, even so, I was also serviced with a demand for payment. I am pretty sure there is nothing I can do about the payment...but isn't the notice to vacate "illegal retaliation"?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . Enforcing the contract you signed is not illegal and does not constitute illegal retaliation. If you are actually behind on your rent, the landlord is generally not required to give you time to catch up. You could attempt to argue that the landlord waived their right to timely rent by entering into an agreement with you, but unless you provided additional consideration for the agreement (such as agreeing to pay extra in exchange for the additional time) then the agreement is likely not binding.

    You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney... more

Related Topics

Neighbor noise disputes

Most communities have rules against excessive noise, and you can make a neighbor noise complaint if your neighbor is violating your local ordinances.

Lawsuits and disputes

If you're faced with a dispute that can't be resolved by negotiation, a lawsuit may be necessary. It will allow you to seek a legally binding solution in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,830 answers this week

3,626 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,830 answers this week

3,626 attorneys answering