Skip to main content

I performed a hit and run, what can I do?

Saint Augustine, FL |

I was at a crowded restaurant this morning and backed into a vehicle with no driver. I panicked and fled the scene. When I realized I did a hit and run, I went back to check and the car was gone. I think they may have gotten my license plate number. There was little to no damage, but I know I still messed up. What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


Report the situation to your insurance carrier ASAP. Explain what happened.

Good luck.


In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


Make certain that you contact your insurance provider and inform them of what occurred. If there was little or no damage to either car then there is a good chance that the driver of the other car will not feel the need to call insurance.
Good luck!

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Report the incident to your insurance carrier and document everything.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


As others have suggested, report the incident to your insurance carrier. Also, if you receive a citaton, contact a local attorney prior to giving statements, etc.


Consult with a criminal lawyer about this also.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me, or visit my website


Report the accident, or it will likely come back to bite you.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


I suggest you truthfully report this incident to your automobile liability insurance carrier now.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


The numerous attorney's that commented on this feed, are totally correct. I would report this to your insurance company as soon as possible. The reason for this is, under your contractual auto policy, you have an obligation to report any and all accidents to your insurer as soon as possible.
The consequences for failure to report this to your insurance company may be drastic by the insurance company. If not reported your insurance company can argue that you materially breached the contractual duty you had, and may deny any and all coverage. If the individual who's car you struck did get your proper tag and reported this to your insured, you could be left on the hook, personally, for repaying any and all property damage claims. Lastly, if issued a citation, immediately contact a criminal attorney to properly advise you on the citation/criminal matter.

This answer does not establish an attorney-client privileged. This answer is purely informative.


I am a criminal defense attorney in St. Augustine and if you would like to speak with me I will meet with you for free. My office number is 824-9402. It's very difficult for any lawyer based on the facts you have given to tell you with any certainty what may happen.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer