I pay fees on behalf of my employers clients out of my own pocket and they then reimburse me.

Ontario, CA |

However, it seems I never have use of my money as there is always someone else to pay the fees for. This has tied up over $3000.00 for the last several months. Do I have to do this?

It is almost impossible to understand why an employee would advance fees for customers of his/her employer. You don't indicate the type of business but I'm not sure it would make any difference. To specifically answer your question, no.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

No

I agree with Mr. Doland

I agree this is probably illegal, but the manner in which it is handled can mak a huge difference. Even if it is ilegal to fire or discipline you for protesting illegal pay practices, the law only provides a remedy after the fact. If your employer fires you, illegally or otherwise, you are the one without a job in this rotten economy. You may want to work with an attorney with whom you can develop a strategy to better protect your job -- though there never are any guarantees. An employer who breaks one law may also break other laws.

To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in California, please go to the web site of the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA). CELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the state for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is www.cela.org. Click on "Find a CELA Member" and you can search by location and practice area. Many CELA attorneys represent clients throughout the state.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

twitter.com/MikaSpencer *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***