I pay child support , 50s of medical expenses and 60s of work related child care expenses for my daughter .

Marlton, NJ |

My ex wants me to pay 50s of the expense for a tutor to help with my daughters reading comprehension because the teachers are saying she needs it . Every week $ 65 / hour . It's not in the agreement . Do I have to pay for this ?

1. If it is not in the agreement you don't have to pay for it.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

2. Does your agreement discuss extracurricular activities in general? If so, then that information would be helpful in determining your obligation. If you have the financial ability to contribute to the cost of tutoring, I would highly recommend agreeing since it is clear that your daughter's teachers are suggesting that the tutoring is necessary for her educational advancement and well-being. Please consider consulting with a Family Law attorney who can review your agreement and discuss the specific facts and circumstances in your matter and guide you accordingly. Please also take a look at the articles linked below for additional information.

The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general information only. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and emails. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

3. It depends. In order to answer your question, I would need to see your agreement. Sometimes this issue is addressed under the educational expenses provision and sometimes it is considered an extra-curricular activity expense. Sometimes even if tutoring expenses are not specifically addressed in your agreement, the Court may require you to contribute towards them when your child is in need of tutoring.

If you would like to discuss this matter further please feel free to contact my office and schedule a consultation.

Best of luck.

The information you obtain at this site is not intended to be, nor is it legal advice. In order to obtain legal advice about your individual situation you should consult an attorney for advice about your situation. If you would like to discuss your situation further with myself or a member of my firm please contact me to schedule a consultation. Contacting my law firm does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

4. Agreeing with the previous counsels, I would say that before a competent answer to this question can be presented, I or another attorney would need to review your Property Settlement Agreement in its entirety. Our office offers a free half hour consultation on any issue, so feel free to call us.