I pay alimony to my ex husb. If I were to cohab with another man as a renter could this affect my alimony?

Hillsborough, NJ |
Filed under: Alimony

What are the alimony ramifications if I cohab with a boyfriend? If I were to marry?

Since you are the person paying the alimony, the only possible ramifications would come because of an increased ability to pay support (whether you cohabit or remarry). However, the only time that becomes important is if your ex-husband tries to modify spousal support upward - something that is very difficult to do. So, the answer is that it is more than likely that neither cohabitation or marriage is going to alter your spousal support.

2. Probably not.

The information posted by the Law Office of Jordan A. Stern on Avvo is not legal advice. Consult an attorney for advice regarding your situation. We invite you to contact us via phone, mail, fax and email. Contacting us or sending us information does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until we establish an attorney-client relationship. If you send us information before we establish an attorney-client relationship, that information is not confidential. The Law Office of Jordan A. Stern limits its practice to the State of New Jersey. Office hours by appointment. We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Our services related to credit defaults, mortgage foreclosures, eviction proceedings, excessive debt, debt collection pressure, or inability to pay any consumer debt may involve bankruptcy relief under Title 11 of the United States Code. Thanks. © 2011 Law Office of Jordan A. Stern LLC · All Rights Reserved.

3. Alimony is subject to modification and/or termination when the payee is cohabiting with an unrelated third party. The living arrangements of the payor does not likely affect the alimony payments. See the attached article for additional information pertaining to modification and termination of alimony: http://www.weinbergerlawgroup.com/divorce-legal-separation/post-divorce-issues/alimony-modifications.aspx

The information provided is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This information is designed for general information only. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and emails. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

4. Probably not. The issue most often occurs when the payee spouse co-habitates, not the payor.