I pay a fee to park 24/7 at a parking garage.My vehicle was broken into. The company said they are not liable. Are they liable?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I am a "Monthly Parker" at a San Diego parking garage that is run by a very well known company in San Diego. I parked my vehicle in the parking structure late Sunday night. I have been a "Monthly Parker" at this parking garage for 3 months. Before I left my vehicle in the parking structure to walk back to my house I said hello to the 2 security guards who happened to be on the floor where my vehicle was parked . There was a suspicious person not too far away from my vehicle . I went downstairs and let the person working know about the suspicious person. I was told security would check it out. This morning, I went to my vehicle-the window was broken and there was theft. I went to the office downstairs and told the worker what happened-I was told that they are not liable-Are they liable?

1. Daniel William Cohen

2

Answered . This is not a criminal question. You need a contract/business lawyer who knows about bailments (entrustment of another's property).

On the criminal law side, IF the person who broke in is ever caught and prosecuted he/she/they will probably have to pay you restitution.

2. Alan Graham Keating

1

Answered . As noted by Mr. Cohen, your question should be directed to a civil attorney with experience of these matters. Good luck to you.

3. Nicholas Milan Loncar

Pro

1

Answered . I've added business as a practice area. Perhaps you'll get some more detailed answers.

4. Kelvin P. Green

1

Answered . Most parking lots issue some kind of waiver with their tickets and you park at your own risk. You would have to prove they owed you a duty and they violated the duty... Your better bet may be to contact your insurance company

5. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

Answered . It will depend on what basis you claim they are liable. If they were negligent somehow then they could be liable but the fact your window is broken does not indicate that they were negligent. It will depend on how and who broke your window.