I passed my naturalization interview but my G-C expired. Should I renew it while I wait for oath ceremony paper?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

My G-C had just expired 2 days before my interview and the officer only made a copy of it but said he would recommend an approval. Do I renew my G-C or do I just give them the expired card at the oath ceremony?

1. Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Pro

1

Answered . You don't have to. Your status as a permanent resident is valid even though your card has expired.

2. Michael Hugh Carlin

1

Answered . It appears to me that USCIS is not requiring you to renew your green card. Be sure to take your expired green card to the oath ceremony to turn in.

At any rate, if you apply to renew your green card, it will take several months, at least, and it appears that you will have your oath ceremony long before you would receive the new green card.

I have had several clients become US Citizens while holding expired green cards.

Best wishes to you, and congratulations on your naturalization.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . If you have been approved and are merely waiting to be sworn in, then no.