I passed my i130 interview and terminated my immigration court. Now I'm still waiting on i485 interview. What do I expect there?

Newark, NJ |

I had a green card under my mom but she failed her second interview and our case got send to immigration court. In the process I'm married to a US citizen and applied for i130 and i485. My lawyer submitted our approved i130 to the court and terminated my case. My marriage had been 2 years and now i'm still waiting for my i485 interview. What will I be expecting from the interview? Will they ask me a lot of questions?

What kind of questions will they be asking?

Yes, they want to make sure that you are eligible for a green card - crimes, immigration problems, etc.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I agree

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

They will also want to ensure you entered into a good faith marriage and did not marry to avoid removal.

Each case is fact specific and in Newark the interview depends on the official you get. if you are currently represented the attorney should be able to prepare for the interview and accompany you as well. if the application has been pending for awhile it might be best for present counsel to look into that as well. With prior proceeding things can get overlooked. If you would like a second opinion please feel free to contact me.

Legal disclaimer: The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are known by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics