I passed my i130 interview and terminated my immigration court. Now I'm still waiting on i485 interview. What do I expect there?

I had a green card under my mom but she failed her second interview and our case got send to immigration court. In the process I'm married to a US citizen and applied for i130 and i485. My lawyer submitted our approved i130 to the court and terminated my case. My marriage had been 2 years and now i'm still waiting for my i485 interview. What will I be expecting from the interview? Will they ask me a lot of questions?

Newark, NJ -

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Yes, they want to make sure that you are eligible for a green card - crimes, immigration problems, etc.

Loredana Gandolfa Pantano

Loredana Gandolfa Pantano

Immigration Attorney - Totowa, NJ

Each case is fact specific and in Newark the interview depends on the official you get. if you are currently represented the attorney should be able to prepare for the interview and accompany you as well. if the application has been pending for awhile it might be best for present counsel to look into that as well. With prior proceeding things can get overlooked. If you would like a second opinion please feel free to contact me.

Rebecca Saldana

Rebecca Saldana

Immigration Attorney - Mckinney, TX

They will also want to ensure you entered into a good faith marriage and did not marry to avoid removal.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

I agree

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.