I paid my Lawyer 1300 dollars when i filed for ch. 13 bankruptcy. She now wants 425 dollars to convert to a ch7 is this fair?

Wichita, KS |

I have only been in the ch 13 for 6 months but struggling to make payments to it.

plus the vehicles under the 13 are both having problems and no money to fix em. . she is a great attorney and helped my family alot. Im in the military and trying to support my wife a nd 9 mo old son.

Yes, very fair. In our jurisdiction, client signs Rights & Responsibilities form, which is filed with the petition, chances are you also signed this form. It lists 15 items that the attorney shall do in order to receive $3,300, which is within the US Bankruptcy's Court's parameters for "initial fees," Converting a Chapter 13 to a Chapter 7 is not one of those items and it is not improper to compensate your lawyer for the extra time & effort involved in adhering to the conversion procedures. I also would probably charge a bit more.

2. Yes, there are additional things that need to be done like paying the conversion fee, filing a statement of new debt, otherwise updating the schedules, doing a new means test, providing information to the new trustee for the chapter 7 and attending another meeting of creditors. I usually charge more than that.

3. Completely fair. First, there is a filing fee to convert that has to be paid. Second, there is additional work to be done to convert the case. Frankly, my office charges more for a Chap. 13 than what you were charged, and we charge to convert cases as well.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

4. No, it is not fair, but you will not like my answer why. $1,300 is not close to being enough money to get a Chapter 13 plan confirmed. $450 is not enough money to convert a 13 to a 7. Your concern should not be why your attorney is charging so much money; it should be why she is charging so little as you tend to get what you pay for.

5. Yes, this is a more than fair amount considering the additional work and additional 341 meeting that your attorney will have to do. I frequently charge more that this for a conversion, as do my colleagues from around the country as indicated by the other responses to your question.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).

6. She is very kind. I would charge you nearly three times that amount. The reality is that doing a conversion is only marginally less work than doing an entire Chapter 7 from scratch.

Please consult an attorney who is licensed in your state to evaluate your case if you have any questions at all. This communication does not in any way create an attorney client relationship.