I paid a well known shipping comp. to send a pkg. to Mex. in 2 days. It's been 3 wks. and nothing. Can I sue?

Asked over 5 years ago - Chicago, IL

They work with independent "agents" who take days to update any details with them. First address "couldn't be found", then they wanted the recipient to wait in the house all day for them. All this was discovered throughout several days at a time. The contents are very important and it needed to be there within the 2 days stated. I don't know why I have to suffer because the company cant' do what it's supposed to. Upon asking to return package to me, they want to charge me for it! For a package they failed to deliver in the first place! Absurd! I'm telling EVERYONE I know - DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY'RE NOT AS FAST AS THEY SAY. Next time I'll go DHL.

1. Christopher R. Minelli

Answered . You might be surprised to know that shipping companies are insulated against losses, etc. in transporting goods from both contractual limitations and statutes. Generally, most carriers will disclaim as much liability as legally possible in the contract you sign with them (in the fine print, of course) or will assume you "consent" to such limitation by simply using their service. These limitations are regularly upheld in court.

Further, since you are shipping out of the country there are certain statutes that limit a carrier's liability unless the statute is disclaimed in the contract for carriage. This is regulary ignored by high volume shippers like the type you are describing.

Good luck!

Christopher R. Minelli
    Minelli Law Offices, LLC
    Chicago, Illinois
    (312) 214-7262

NOTE: This answer is not intended to be legal advice and should not be construed in that way. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and no such relationship may be created absent a signed retainer agreement. The author is licensed in Illinois only, and his answer is for educational purposes alone.