I owned a home that was foreclosed on in 2008. Can i request my lender to produce the NOTE now?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Irvine, CA

It was an 80/20 loan, it was also an income stated.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . No, In California, the "produce the note" theory has been uniformly rejected.

    Production of the original note is not required to proceed with a nonjudicial foreclosure. (See Gomes v. Countrywide Home Loans, Inc. (2011) 192 Cal.App.4th 1149, 1155; Gamboa v. Trustee Corps. (ND Cal. 2009) 2009 WL 656285, at *4).

    But what is your goal?

    In California, there is no authority for a plaintiff's "cognovit note theory." It has been repeatedly dismissed by federal courts in this state and there appears to be no basis for the theory in California.

    California law does not require that the original note be in possession of the party initiating non-judicial foreclosure. See Civil Code § 2924. Only copies are required within 21 days of an adequate request. CC § 2943(b)(1). Nothing in the comprehensive scheme set forth in Civil Code section 2924, et seq., allows a judicial action to determine whether the person initiating the foreclosure process is indeed authorized.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now