I own my trailer but rent the lot. The new Landlord is threatening to evict me for rent being 7days past due. Is this legal?

Fairmont, WV |

Ive lived in the trailer court for 5 yrs and have never caused any problems and i have always paid rent before the tenth of every month as advised on the lease. Im a single mother and a full time student. I made it aware i wouldnt be able to pay my rent for this month til the 20th along with my next mths rent i would also be giving her inadvance and 2 days later I had received a letter she had put herself in my mailbox stating that i was in breach of rent agreement and i will be given an eviction notice and ill have 30days to move my trailer if not paid by the 20th and for now on if i didnt pay on the first of every month i would also be evicted. I would also like to note that i am harassed every month after the first with text messages telling me i need to pay rent and she would drive to

If you have a written lease, then that is what controls. If the due date is the first, it is the first. If there is a grace period until the tenth, there is a grace period. The lease also likely dictates on what kind of notice a termination can be made, and if there is a cure for non-payment. Should the lease to a local attorney for more specific advice.

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state (in WV, on inactive status as of 9/13), I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.

Landlord-tenant topics