I own commercial property in Washington State. WSDOT drilled wells on my property without my permission, can I sue them?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Vancouver, WA

WSDOT is widening the road where I own commercial property. They drilled a monitering well as well as at least 24 boring wells on my property without my permission. They purchased the property from me through eminent domain since the holes were drilled. Can I sue them because at the time that they drilled I did own the property and they never asked permission. I am still gathering all of the information for the quantity of holes/wells drilled, but have verified at least 22 sites.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If WSDOT bought the land from you on which the wells were previously drilled, normally WSDOT would be purchasing not just the land, but all claims of inverse condemnation and trespass. If those claims were not included in the purchase transaction with WSDOT, you would still technically own those claims under Hoover v. Pierce County.

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Every lawsuit involves at least three elements - liability, damage and the ability to pay.

    The question I would have is: what are your damages?

    What are your out of pocket expenses related to the drilling of monitoring wells on your property?

    Absent any serious out of pocket expenses, you would be entitled to "nominal damages" for the trespass - but that might not be worth the money expended trying to fight the state.

    I am not a WA attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more

Related Topics

Commercial real estate

Commercial real estate is property that is only used for business reasons, not for living or manufacturing, such as restaurants, office parks and malls.

Eminent domain and land use law

Eminent domain is the right of governments to take privately owned property for public use, without the owner's consent, but after paying “just compensation”.

Bradford Beau Kuhn

California Eminent Domain Guide

The Basics Eminent domain is the power of the government to take or condemn property for "public use," without the land owner's consent, upon paying just compensation. The "government"... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

37,138 answers this week

3,923 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

37,138 answers this week

3,923 attorneys answering