I own a small business and was fined for not having worker comp, I agreed to a bad settlement, how do I fight it?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

The workers comp collection agency called me and pretended to be from the workers comp agency (a public entity) and the rep also claimed that a low settlement that he was offering me was approved by the workers comp board (also wasn't true, he made up the number). Can't I fight them for deception and abuse of public office?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John M Connell


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree that you should have a workers compensation attorney. That is the only way to protect your business and get the matter resolved

  2. George Ellis Corson IV

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I think you should talk to a NY Workers' Compensation Attorney, because I think we can agree that you are in over your head. The alternative to a bad settlement is the potential for a worse Trial Award.

    We offer general concepts, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY... more
  3. Brett A. Borah

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I are with my colleagues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,464 answers this week

2,982 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,464 answers this week

2,982 attorneys answering