I own a house with my ex-fiance. What am I entitled to if the house is sold or bought out?

Saint Petersburg, FL |

How much am I entitled to if he were to buy me out?

One-half of the profit, one half of the equity. That is what I would go for.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

The house is paid for. Would you suggest that I get it appraised to learn the value - then 1/2 of that would be my legal portion?

Robert Jason De Groot

Robert Jason De Groot

That might be a good idea.

If it is titled in both of your names, then you are entitled to 1/2 of the profit/equity mentioned by my colleague.

You can also file an action to sell the home (an action for partition) to force the sale of the home.

This is not intended to be used as a legal advice.

50% les whatever payments he is making on your behalf. So if the mortgage is $1000 and he pays it then he gets credit for $500 each month towards any buyout monies he owes you because as half owner you are responsible for half the mortgage whether you live there or not. Contact my office for free consultation.

Ex-fiance? So this is not a marital law question at all because an ex-fiance has no rights and no obligations, as opposed to an ex-spouse. So it would work exactly as though you owned this house with a total stranger. So if would depend somewhat on how the property is titled, because what kicks in here is property law, not marital and family law.