I own a house with my ex-fiance. What am I entitled to if the house is sold or bought out?

Asked about 2 years ago - Saint Petersburg, FL

How much am I entitled to if he were to buy me out?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Robert Jason De Groot


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . One-half of the profit, one half of the equity. That is what I would go for.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239
  2. Robert M Valentine

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . If it is titled in both of your names, then you are entitled to 1/2 of the profit/equity mentioned by my colleague.

    You can also file an action to sell the home (an action for partition) to force the sale of the home.

    This is not intended to be used as a legal advice.
  3. John Arthur Smitten

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . 50% les whatever payments he is making on your behalf. So if the mortgage is $1000 and he pays it then he gets credit for $500 each month towards any buyout monies he owes you because as half owner you are responsible for half the mortgage whether you live there or not. Contact my office for free consultation.

  4. Joseph Julius Registrato


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Ex-fiance? So this is not a marital law question at all because an ex-fiance has no rights and no obligations, as opposed to an ex-spouse. So it would work exactly as though you owned this house with a total stranger. So if would depend somewhat on how the property is titled, because what kicks in here is property law, not marital and family law.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,354 answers this week

2,592 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,354 answers this week

2,592 attorneys answering