Skip to main content

I own a duplex where I live in one half and rent out the other. Is that rent counted towards my gross income for child support?

Lake Mills, WI |
Filed under: Child support

He makes more than me and I have the kids 80% of the time. Am I gonna have to sell the duplex to keep the support high enough to make ends meet?

Attorney Answers 1


First, your income is irrelevant if there is not a shared placement schedule. If you have the children 80% of the time, that is not a shared placement schedule. Second, even if there was, any income from the duplex would be only as stated on your tax returns. So, that would be income less expenses. You would be able to deduct any expenses from any income such as mortgage, real estate taxes, repairs/improvements, etc. Usually this is fairly nominal, if anything at all.

To be sure, though, you should consult with an experienced family law attorney.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics