I own a consignment shop and have a agreement people sign that clearly states that it is a 60 day consigning period is it legal?

Asked about 1 year ago - Boothbay Harbor, ME

I own a consignment shop and have people sign an agreement that states it is a 60 day consignment period and they have 5 days to pick up item or the item may be donated or becomes the property of the shop. I have very limited space and need to keep things new and exciting is it legal to donate items that haven't sold, some items have been in my shop 5 -7 months. I have over 100 consignor's and it would be very time consuming to contact each one as items expire so to speak...

1. Anthony K Ferguson

Pro

Answered . I don't know the answer to your question, but it likely is contained within Maine's Uniform Unclaimed Property Act, 33 M.R.S.A. ยง 1951 et seq. It is a lengthy act and would take some time to wade through. My gut instinct though is that you have obligations to preserve the property, notify the owners, and to notify the State of the abandonment of the property if it is over a certain value.