I own a business with 3 employees, I will have an I-9 inspection by 4-23-13 by ins, I don't have green card, what can happen?

Asked 12 months ago - Fresno, CA

I started my business in 2010, with all permits federals and state, I have valid social security number because I had work permit and expired in 2001, this company is LLC and I pay my taxes and workers comp, everything is legit.....two of my employees apparently don't have green cards.... but what worries me is what is gonna happen with myself and the company... it makes an annually gross 500,000 and I had invested in equipment and tools about 300,000.

1. David Lee Wilson

10

Answered . You need to retain an experienced I-9 attorney before your inspection. The company's obligation to comply with notice of inspection is not up for negotation. However, it is a corporate responsiblity. As a single member LLC your role is different than a standard employee, and possibly exempt from the I-9 requirement. However, you are also the LLC's director. This position puts you at risk for criminal consequences. You need an attorney for the company, and possibly another one for you as an individual. Don't waste any more time posting to message boards - contact an attorney in your area asap.

2. Dinara Maylov

8

Answered . I guess you need to engage two processionals, a CPA and an Immigration Attorney.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

Pro

8

Answered . Hire an immigration attorney. He or she will handle the audit.

4. Danny Garmo

6

Answered . Immediately consult with an immigration attorney to do an audit.

5. Alena Shautsova

Pro

5

Answered . You need to have a specialist who is competent in Immigration and Criminal law, as well as Taxation issues.