I own a business with 3 employees, I will have an I-9 inspection by 4-23-13 by ins, I don't have green card, what can happen?

Asked 12 months ago - Fresno, CA

I started my business in 2010, with all permits federals and state, I have valid social security number because I had work permit and expired in 2001, this company is LLC and I pay my taxes and workers comp, everything is legit.....two of my employees apparently don't have green cards.... but what worries me is what is gonna happen with myself and the company... it makes an annually gross 500,000 and I had invested in equipment and tools about 300,000.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. David Lee Wilson

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to retain an experienced I-9 attorney before your inspection. The company's obligation to comply with notice of inspection is not up for negotation. However, it is a corporate responsiblity. As a single member LLC your role is different than a standard employee, and possibly exempt from the I-9 requirement. However, you are also the LLC's director. This position puts you at risk for criminal consequences. You need an attorney for the company, and possibly another one for you as an individual. Don't waste any more time posting to message boards - contact an attorney in your area asap.

    The law may vary from state to state and is subject to change without notice so that some information may not be... more
  2. Dinara Maylov

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I guess you need to engage two processionals, a CPA and an Immigration Attorney.

  3. Alexander Joseph Segal


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hire an immigration attorney. He or she will handle the audit.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  4. Danny Garmo

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Immediately consult with an immigration attorney to do an audit.

    Garmo Law Group, PLLC (Michigan) 248-626-0050. This advice is only general in nature and does not constitute an... more
  5. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to have a specialist who is competent in Immigration and Criminal law, as well as Taxation issues.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,298 answers this week

2,800 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary