I owe1,900 in overpayments for unemployment in ca , can they take my tax refund?

Monrovia, CA |
Filed under: Tax law

My husband and I filed together, he had wages and I didn't. We are suppose to get about 2300 back .

Not sure about tax refund; however, you may be able to get a hearing before the EDD Judge for a reduction of the amount owed or an installment payment plan so they don't go after your assets.

Start here for more info. http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/filing_a_claim.htm

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law