I owe taxes still from 2006 I am current on all filing except 2012. What can IRS do to me?

I was on a payment plan, and have fallen behind. Simply because I don't have the appropriate funds to pay - I currently don't have a checking account any longer in fear because they continue to rob my account, leaving me nothing to live on. I am tired of living in fear, what do I do??

Lumberton, TX -

Michael L Raff

Michael L Raff

Lawyer - Lake Zurich, IL

You need to contact a Texas licensed tax attorney to discuss the options you have at your disposable with the IRS. You can try to re-establish a payment plan that's affordable to you or perhaps submit an Offer in Compromise. Talk to an attorney as soon as possible.

Sponsored Listing
Steven M Zelinger

Steven M Zelinger

Estate Planning Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

Hire an attorney or CPA to represent you to re-establish your payment plan? If you have the right situation, see if you qualify for an offer in compromise?

Dorothy G Bunce

Dorothy G Bunce

Bankruptcy Attorney - Las Vegas, NV

It would help to know about how much your 2006 tax liability is as well as why you owe the taxes. In either event, file the 2012 return ASAP. If the taxes were filed on time and are not owed due to an audit, you may be eligible to eliminate the taxes as well as other debt in bankruptcy. The amount of the liability will be a factor as well as whether the IRS has filed a lien. See a bankruptcy tax attorney for more specific advice before the IRS collection process takes over to seize everything you own. The ordinary rules don't apply to the IRS collection process. Hope this perspective helps!

Sponsored Listing
Linda Simmons Campbell

Linda Simmons Campbell

Tax Lawyer - Burlington, CT

If you cannot afford an attorney you should contact the taxpayer advocate or a low income taxpayer clinic in your area. Numbers for both can be found at irs.gov.

Related Advice