I owe some back taxes + penalties ($4,000). it's been turned over to collection agency. They came & took my savings $1,000).

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

I am 63yr old single woman w/ little income. It took me 2yrs to save $. Can a private company do that?

1. 4

1

Answered . Yes, they can garnish all of a checking or savings account.

2. 4

Answered . Yes -- and they will do so until they get all of their money, plus interest. You ought to try and negotiate a resolution pronto -- that can save you some dough. An attorney could try to pull that off for you for a few hundred bucks.

Best of luck.

3. 3

Answered . the IRS is using private companies for tax collections, but these still have the authority of the IRS when it comes to garnishing accounts, best to work out a payment plan or discuss alternatives with a tax attorney