I owe child support in WA state. How hard is it for WA DHS to seize my bank financed car in CA? What is their process?

Owe $10k+ in back child support, Car worth $15k, owe the bank $10k.

it is extremely unlikely that anyone would levy on an encumbered vehicle.

This information is provided for general educational purposes only including answers posted to questions asked. It is not intended to be relied on as legal advice. Your particular facts and circumstances must be considered to determine appropriate legal advice. Always consult with a competent attorney, licensed in your state, to discuss your particular situation. The material contained in this answer is provided solely for informational purposes. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between you and the responding Attorney. The information in this answer is not guaranteed to be correct, complete or up-to-date. It should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice. You should not act or elect not to act based upon this information without seeking professional counsel. If you are also an attorney and you agree with the posted answer please check "I agree", if you are the party who posted the question and find that the answer is helpful or the best of what you have received please check the appropriate response.

If the car is worth 15 but you owe the bank 10 on it then it would not make financial sense for the bank to go after it. I would still be careful, I know some creditors will wait you out and go after the car in a year or two when it is worth 10 but now it is paid off. would it be possible for you to pick up some extra work to get the child support back on track?

Please consult or retain a lawyer for your particular issue.

Recommended articles about Family law