Skip to main content

I owe a lot of money for a car accident that I cannot afford to pay. what can i do?

Torrance, CA |

I was uninsured on my car for about a week. During this time, unfortunately while drive, I blacked out due to epilepsy and caused an accident. Now I am getting letters in the mail saying I owe a very large amount of money and I have no way to pay back the money.

Attorney Answers 8


    This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  2. I agree you should contact an attorney immediately.

  3. Are creditor ls bothering you? If so call a consumer attorney

    Kazerouni Law Group, APC is a law firm concentrating its efforts in the area of consumer law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692 et seq. (“FDCPA”), and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, California Civil Code §§ 1788-1788.32 ("Rosenthal Act"). Our lawyers are specially trained in the Federal FDCPA, Consumer Defense, and other consumer related matters. Our goal is to protect you against unfair, deceptive and abusive debt collection practices. Creditors, professional debt collectors, and attorneys who violate the law are subject to paying damages, statutory penalties, and the consumer's attorneys fees and costs. If you feel you have been abused, deceived or treated unfairly, you may need a lawyer. We can be reached at 800-400-6808, or through one of the evaluation forms on this or at our own website at The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or as forming an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship between the reader and Abbas Kazerounian has been formed. If you are in the State of California and would be interested in a formal free consultation either visit Kazerouni Law Group, APC website at or call me toll free at 800-400-6808.

  4. I agree with my colleagues above. Bankruptcy may be an option that would eliminate your debt. Feel free to contact my office in Gardena for a free consultation. You can reach me at 424-262-0529.

    The information above is not intended to, nor does it constitute legal advice.

  5. You should consult with a lawyer. Depending on your medical history, blacking out from epilepsy may not be foreseeable. Which means that you are not at fault.

  6. If the other driver had uninsured motorist coverage in his/her auto insurance policy, that person's insurance company will cover some or all of the damages. But you would still be responsible for the damages. That you blacked out due to epilepsy may be a defense (partial or otherwise) in a civil action. Bankruptcy probably would make the matter go away altogether. My office happens to specialize in bankruptcy and auto accidents.

  7. You can try to file bankruptcy, Chapter 7, that will discharge all of you liabilities. There is a chance whoever you hit will attempt to have the debt determined to be non-dischargeable in an adversary proceeding. If that happens it will cost you as an adversary proceeding is a lawsuit within the bankruptcy proceeding. For more info or to schedule a consult call my office at (310) 515-7799

  8. You can file bankruptcy if you qualify. Give me a call to discuss as I handle these cases.

    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference