I owe a bill to a hospital. They have asked me for my financial status including IRA holding. Do i have to reveal that to them?

Asked over 1 year ago - Binghamton, NY

I just want to know if i have to inform them of my wife or my 401k/IRA status. Thanks so much

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

1

Answered . They can request the information if they obtain a judgment and then file an information subpoena to locate assets. By the way 401 k and IRAs are exempt assets if you file a bankruptcy and you can kept them.

2. Jeffrey Scott Hyslip

Pro

2

1

Answered . You are not required to give them anything unless they sued you and/or get a court order or issue discovery to you. If you are trying to settle the debt they will probably want some proof of your inability to pay the whole thing for them to agree. But - you aren't technically required to do anything unless they sue you.