I owe 15,000 directly to my college in tuition and fees. It has since gone to collections. Is bankruptcy an option ?

Boston, MA |

Umass Amherst
No loans

Yes if it is a direct debt to the institution, it can be discharged. If it is a student loan, then bankruptcy will not discharge it. Talk to a local bankruptcy attorney for assistance in deciding what it is.

I I believe it is direct debt

And what are the implications of bankruptcy if I wish to continue my education

Alan D. Walton

Alan D. Walton

Should be no implications.

My real question would be that , currently my school is holding transcripts, would they then release them and what effect would this process have on my credit score

Alan D. Walton

Alan D. Walton

Yes, and your credit score would drop initially, but rebound somewhat because you would have no debt.

Christopher Joseph Fein

Christopher Joseph Fein

There are affordable steps you can take post-bankruptcy to help increase your credit score. Dont pay anyone a lot of money to help "rebuild credit".

It depends on the type of loan you have. Some school loans and not dischargeable.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Institutions have been know to convert direct loans, which may be dischargeable, to loans administered by federally guaranteed organizations, which then become non-dischargeable in bankruptcy.

This is only one apparent loophole in the present system, that along with other policies, has contributed to a serious problem, allowing the national student loan debt, to exceed all amounts owed on credit cards,

General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is required to determine specific legal advice as to your situation and applicable law. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.

Maybe. Bankruptcy would stop the collection activity, but student loans, generally, are not discharged in bankruptcy. However, if you eliminated other debts that would free up money to pay the student loans. You should consult a bankruptcy lawyer. Also, you may have claims against the collection firm for consumer law violations.

Feel free to send me a quick email to contact me with any more questions.

If these collectors have violated your rights, you might be entitled to up to $1000.00 per collector if they violated federal law in the way they are collecting. In some instances, $1500.00 per call if you told them to stop calling you with an auto-dialer ad they ignored you.

Bankruptcy is an option with student loans, but it very hard to get them discharged via bankruptcy.

However, there are resources that you can be put in contact with who might be able to help you consolidate your loans, which would help in reducing payments to an affordable amount, and then you can go after any possible offending collectors. I hope this helps.

Please do not take my answer to be legal advice that would establish any attorney-client relationship. Please take it as a general response from my own experience in response to your question. I hope you find it helpful.